Sunday, June 17, 2012

French Toasts for Dinner



Breakfast for dinner is sort of a thing in my house. The kids love when I say, "we are having breakfast for dinner! Who wants (fill in the blank)?" They go crazy! So I decided to make french toasts... loaded french toasts that is! Bananas, whipped cream, chocolate syrup, and caramel. I even allowed my son to add some extra PB chips and chocolate chips... yes, major sugar high... I can only blame myself. But kids are kids once... might as well enjoy it!





These are some of the ingredient I used. 


I already have a way of making french toasts, but I wanted something different. So I searched around and found French Toast II from allrecipes.com. It is very simple yet it has an ingredient I had never used before on french toasts... nutmeg! Oh I know what you are thinking... pumpkin pie! But that's another post.... let's not get ahead of ourselves. LOL!




I adapted the recipe by cutting the serving. For example, the recipe calls for 12 slices of bread. I only made 7.


You will need:
2 eggs
1/2 cup milk
1 tbsp brown sugar
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
7 slices of light wheat bread
1/2 tbsp cinnamon


For a healthier approach, I used Splenda brown sugar and Light Style 7 Grain Pepperidge Farm bread (2 loafs equal 90 calories). Low fat, cholesterol free, and low in calories. Can't beat that!


Toppings:
Caramel
Light Whipped Cream
Sugar Free Chocolate Syrup
Bananas
Anything else you can think of! For us, PB chips and chocolate chips. You can also do cookie crumbs, gummy bears, sprinkles, anything!


In a large mixing bowl, add the eggs, milk, brown sugar, and nutmeg; stir well to combine. 




Do you see that?? It's a happy face! How kool!

Soak the bread slices in the mixture. Spray the frying pan with cooking spray, and set on medium heat. Brown slices on both sides.



Sprinkle with cinnamon and serve hot. Add all the toppings (let the kids have fun with this! Enjoy cleaning up the mess later) and enjoy! Look at my kid's creations:



Miss M sticking her finger to taste the whipped cream (as usual).



This is my son's creation with EXTRA whipped cream (as usual).




Word of Encouragement:
Colossians 2:6-7 (NIV) So then, just as you received Christ Jesus as Lord, continue to live your lives in him, rooted and built up in him, strengthened in the faith as you were taught, and overflowing with thankfulness.


Happy Eating!


StumbleUpon

No comments:

Post a Comment